Artist’s Working in Education’s (AWE) mission is to provide youth in the Milwaukee area with arts enrichment programs to enhance human potential, advance learning and cultivate community. AWE is a dynamic nonprofit organization who seeks exceptional candidates with an interest in utilizing their unique talents to support our mission.
Our staff, artists, and educators are collaborative, action-oriented, and believe in the potential of youth and Milwaukee neighborhoods. We learn, work, create, and take risks together to push the boundaries of what is possible for youth in Milwaukee.
AWE is creating a full time, entry-level position to focus on supporting the implementation, administration, and evaluation of our two signature programs. This position is ideal for a candidate who enjoys teaching art, and is looking to gain experience in administering community arts programs.
This person will work closely with AWE’s Program Directors in the following capacities:
- Leading and supporting arts programming in community settings
- Coordinating the collection, recording, and presenting of program evaluation
- Assisting with event logistics and representing AWE at community events
- Managing volunteer recruitment and retention
- Developing intentional ways to gain feedback and engage teens in informing our programs
- Being a curious, professional, engaged part of our team
- Investing in the potential of Milwaukee youth and neighborhoods
- Managing program logistics including promotion, program materials, and paperwork
- Assisting with the planning and implementation of staff training and orientation
- Participating in the recruitment and hiring of teaching artists
- Developing skills in arts administration and as a community artist
- Experience working with urban youth in formal and/or informal settings (schools, playgrounds, camps, after school programs)
- Ability to work alongside community members from diverse backgrounds
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, and patience – must be able to react quickly in a dynamic environment
- High-level creative and organizational skills
- Commitment to AWE’s mission, and core values of equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Prior job experience in an administrative setting
- Availability for evening and weekend programming
- BS/BA/BFA in the fields of fine art, arts education, or youth development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A high regard for openness, and strong active listening skills
- Demonstrated track record of productive collaboration and teamwork, and professional curiosity
- Action-oriented with the ability to work well independently and in a team within community settings
- Preference is given to bilingual (English-Spanish) speaking candidates
- A competitive salary of $32,000 – $35,000 annually
- Flexible work schedules and generous time off benefits including holiday, vacation, personal, and sick days
- Comprehensive insurance coverage including pre-tax medical premium stipends, life and accidental death, and disability
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at AWE, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
This position is open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to send a .pdf of a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.